Topics similar to or like Coming out
Metaphor used to describe LGBT people's self-disclosure of their sexual orientation or of their gender identity. Wikipedia
Act of disclosing an LGBT person's sexual orientation or gender identity without that person's consent. Outing gives rise to issues of privacy, choice, hypocrisy, and harm in addition to sparking debate on what constitutes common good in efforts to combat homophobia and heterosexism. Wikipedia
In Canada, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) or Gender and Sexual Minority (GSM) refugees and asylum-seekers are those who make refugee claims to Canada due to their sexual orientation or gender identity. Outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to, or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country." Wikipedia
Ability of a person to be regarded as a member of an identity group or category different from their own, which may include racial identity, ethnicity, caste, social class, sexual orientation, gender, religion, age and/or disability status. Passing may result in privileges, rewards, or an increase in social acceptance, or be used to cope with stigma. Thus, passing may serve as a form of self-preservation or self-protection in instances where expressing one's true or prior identity may be dangerous. Wikipedia
Study of issues relating to sexual orientation and gender identity usually focusing on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender dysphoria, asexual, queer, questioning, intersex people and cultures. Examination of the identity, lives, history, and perception of queer people. Wikipedia
Document about human rights in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity, published as the outcome of an international meeting of human rights groups in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, in November 2006. The Principles were supplemented in 2017, expanding to include new grounds of gender expression and sex characteristics, and a number of new principles. Wikipedia
Sexuality and gender identity-based cultures are subcultures and communities composed of people who have shared experiences, backgrounds, or interests due to common sexual or gender identities. Among the first to argue that members of sexual minorities can also constitute cultural minorities were Adolf Brand, Magnus Hirschfeld, and Leontine Sagan in Germany. Wikipedia
Closeted and in the closet are adjectives for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, LGBTQ+ people who have not disclosed their sexual orientation or gender identity and aspects thereof, including sexual identity and sexual behavior. Hiding part of their identity because of social pressure. Wikipedia
Term that describes a political approach wherein people of a particular religion, race, social background, class or other identifying factor develop political agendas and organize based upon the interlocking systems of oppression that affect their lives and come from their various identities. Identity politics centers the lived experiences of those facing various systems of oppression to better understand the ways in which racial, economic, sex-based, gender-based, and other forms of oppression are linked and to ensure that political agendas and political actions arising out of identity politics leave no one behind. Wikipedia
American education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression and to prompt LGBT cultural inclusion and awareness in K-12 schools. Now headquartered in New York City and has an office of public policy based in Washington, D.C. Wikipedia
Anti-LGBT rhetoric are themes, catchphrases, and slogans that have been used against homosexuality or other non-heterosexual sexual orientations in order to demean lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. They range from the demeaning and the pejorative to expressions of hostility towards homosexuality which are based on religious, medical, or moral grounds. Wikipedia
Disorder of anxiety or depression related to an uncertainty about one's gender identity or sexual orientation. The World Health Organization (WHO) lists sexual maturation disorder in the ICD-10, under "Psychological and behavioural disorders associated with sexual development and orientation". Wikipedia
Gender and sexual diversity (GSD), or simply sexual diversity, refers to all the diversities of sex characteristics, sexual orientations and gender identities, without the need to specify each of the identities, behaviors, or characteristics that form this plurality. In the Western world, generally simple classifications are used to describe sexual orientation (heterosexuals, homosexuals and bisexuals), gender identity (transgender and cisgender), and related minorities (intersex), gathered under the acronyms LGBT or LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual people, and sometimes intersex people); however, other cultures have other ways of understanding the sex and gender systems. Wikipedia
Disorder where a person has difficulties in forming or maintaining a sexual relationship because of their gender identity or sexual orientation. The World Health Organization lists sexual relationship disorder in the ICD-10, under "Psychological and behavioural disorders associated with sexual development and orientation". Wikipedia
The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been studied in the social sciences in recent decades. A 2017 Gallup poll concluded that 4.5% of adult Americans identified as LGBT with 5.1% of women identifying as LGBT, compared with 3.9% of men. Wikipedia
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) rights in Croatia have expanded in recent years, but LGBT persons may still face some legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. First formally recognized in 2003 under a law dealing with unregistered cohabitations. Wikipedia
Public policy research institute based at the UCLA School of Law focused on sexual orientation and gender identities issues. Founded in 2001 through a grant by Charles R. "Chuck" Williams. Wikipedia
Sentences forComing out
- Few members of the ADF came out as lesbian, gay or bisexual until the late 1990s, however, and those who did were not always welcomed by their comrades.
- It states that "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" cannot be ordained as ministers, and supports "…laws in civil society that define marriage as the union of one man and one woman."
- One of the more notable members of the LGBT community in hip hop is Frank Ocean, who came out in 2012 and has released critically acclaimed albums and won two Grammy Awards.
- Publicly gay politicians have attained numerous government posts, even in countries that had sodomy laws in their recent past.
- Among its mayors are the first Cuban mayor and one of the first openly gay mayors.
- Since 1997, some ministers living in same-sex relationships have come out without their ordination (or ministry) being challenged.
- During an interview with the main character, Dave Skylark (James Franco), Eminem satirically comes out as gay.
- He "stopped fearing his sexuality", and soon came out to his mother, who was supportive of him.
- Trump was progressive on social issues, and supported allowing openly gay soldiers in the military, saying: "it would not disturb me".
- The positive treatment of women on the set was such that it allowed Bearse to become one of the first mainstream actresses to publicly come out as lesbian, which she did during the series and received positive recognition for doing so.
- He was in the closet until shortly before his death.
- He has been openly gay since 1988, and continues to be a champion for LGBT social movements worldwide.
- Several phrases in the series are borrowed and adapted from expressions used against and about LGBT people, such as "God Hates Fangs" (God Hates Fags) and "Coming out of the coffin" (coming out of the closet).
- Young also commented on Almodóvar's fluid idea of sexuality; within his films, LGBT characters do not need to come out as they are already sexually liberated, "enlivening the narrative with complex figures that move beyond trite depictions of the LGBTQI experience".
- This increased publicity reflects the Coming out movement of the LGBT community.
- During this time, Turner's daughter Cheryl privately came out as a lesbian to her parents, who were both supportive of her.
- His friend Helena Bonham Carter believed he would not have been able to come out during later life because this might have demonstrated that he had been forced to camouflage his sexual orientation during his film career.
- Since the repeal in 2010, homosexuals are able to serve in the military openly.
- Harris publicly came out as gay in November 2006, saying, "I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."
- During the 2015 same-sex marriage referendum, Varadkar came out as gay, becoming the first serving Irish minister to do so.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Coming out