Subdivision types similar to or like County (United States)
Administrative or political subdivision of a state that consists of a geographic region with specific boundaries and usually some level of governmental authority. Wikipedia
This article lists the 3,143 counties and county equivalents of the United States. The 50 states of the United States are divided into 3,007 counties, political and geographic subdivisions of a state. Wikipedia
FIPS state codes were numeric and two-letter alphabetic codes defined in U.S. Federal Information Processing Standard Publication ("FIPS PUB") 5-2 to identify U.S. states and certain other associated areas. Superseded on September 2, 2008, by ANSI standard INCITS 38:2009. Wikipedia
List of United States counties by per capita income. Data for the 50 states and the District of Columbia is from the 2009–2013 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates; data for Puerto Rico is from the 2013–2017 American Community Survey 5-Year estimates, and data for the other U.S. territories is from the 2010 U.S. Census. State income levels and income data for the United States as a whole are included for comparison. Wikipedia
Official in a county or independent city responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing the law. Unlike most officials in law enforcement in the United States, sheriffs are usually elected, although some states have laws requiring certain law enforcement qualifications of candidates. Wikipedia
The following list of dry areas by U.S. state details all of the counties / parishes / boroughs / municipalities in the United States of America that ban the sale of alcoholic beverages. For more background information, see dry county and Prohibition in the United States. Wikipedia
List of the 100 most populous counties in the United States based on the national decennial US census conducted on April 1, 2010 and subsequent mid-2010 and mid-2019 official estimates released by the United States Census Bureau . Many of the counties on the list include major cities or metropolitan areas in all parts of the United States. Wikipedia
List of incorporated places in the United States with a population density of over 10,000 people per square mile. Incorporated place is defined as a place that has a self-governing local government and as such has been "incorporated" by the state it is in. Wikipedia
List of U.S. counties named after presidents of the United States. 24 presidents have U.S. counties or county equivalents named after them. Wikipedia
List of the 100 largest counties in the United States by area. Based upon the total area of a county, both land and water surface, reported by the United States Census Bureau during the 2000 Census. Wikipedia
List of historic regions of the United States that existed at some time during the territorial evolution of the United States and its overseas possessions, from the colonial era to the present day. It includes formally organized territories, proposed and failed states, unrecognized breakaway states, international and interstate purchases, cessions, and land grants, and historical military departments and administrative districts. Wikipedia
This list of United States disasters by death toll includes disasters that occurred either in the United States, at diplomatic missions of the United States, or incidents outside of the United States in which a number of U.S. citizens were killed. Epidemics with lower death tolls are not included below. Wikipedia
List of capital cities of the United States, including places that serve or have served as federal, state, insular area, territorial, colonial, and Native American capitals. Washington, D.C., has been the federal capital city of the United States since 1800. Wikipedia
This article includes information about the 100 most populous incorporated cities, the 100 most populous Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs), and the 100 most populous Primary Statistical Areas (PSAs) of the United States and Puerto Rico. Displayed in two tables. Wikipedia
List of country subdivisions. List of countries and dependencies by area Wikipedia
The demographics of Filipino Americans describe a heterogeneous group of people in the United States who trace their ancestry to the Philippines. As of the 2010 Census, there were 3.4 million Filipino Americans, including Multiracial Americans who were part Filipino living in the US; in 2011 the United States Department of State estimating the population at four million. Wikipedia
Sentences forCounty (United States)
- States are divided into counties or county-equivalents, which may be assigned some local governmental authority but are not sovereign.
- Unlike many other states, significant autonomy is granted to many of Maryland's counties.
- The state is divided into 92 counties, which are led by a board of county commissioners.
- St. Louis is one of the 41 independent cities in the U.S. that does not legally belong to any county.
- The local government's duties are commonly split between county and municipal governments.
- California is divided into 58 counties.
- Each province is the size of a U.S. county, having a governor and a capital.
- Arizona is divided into 15 counties, ranging in size from 1238 sqmi to 18661 sqmi.
- Georgia consists of 159 counties, second only to Texas, with 254.
- New York is divided into 62 counties.
- Louisiana is the only U.S. state with political subdivisions termed parishes, which are equivalent to counties.
- The city, which covers about 469 sqmi, is the seat of Los Angeles County, the most populous county in the United States.
- Florida has 67 counties.
- Alaska is not divided into counties, as most of the other U.S. states, but it is divided into boroughs.
- Idaho is divided into political jurisdictions designated as counties.
- One is the use of the term "parish" (from the French: paroisse) in place of "county" for administrative subdivision.
- In local government in the United States, an unincorporated area generally refers to the part of a county that is outside any municipality.
- All local governments are generally administered at the county level.
- Nevada is divided into political jurisdictions designated as counties.
- Oklahoma is divided into 77 counties and contains 597 incorporated municipalities consisting of cities and towns.
- The State of Colorado is divided into 64 counties.
- Townships are geographic and political subdivisions of a county.
- Maine is divided into political jurisdictions designated as counties.
- Iowa has 99 counties, but 100 county seats because Lee County has two.
- Local historic districts can be administered at the county or the municipal level; both entities are involved in land use decisions.
- The Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) includes Louisville-Jefferson County and 12 surrounding counties, seven in Kentucky and five in Southern Indiana.
- The state is divided into 77 counties that govern locally, each headed by a three-member council of elected commissioners, a tax assessor, clerk, court clerk, treasurer, and sheriff.
- Three United States counties (in Delaware, New Jersey, and Virginia), and a former county/land division of Western Australia, are named after Sussex.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: County (United States)