Musical artists similar to or like Curtis Mayfield
American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and record producer, and one of the most influential musicians behind soul and politically conscious African-American music. Wikipedia
American gospel singer, widely considered one of the most influential vocalists of the 20th century. Integral to the development and spread of gospel blues in black churches throughout the U.S. During a time when racial segregation was pervasive in American society, she met considerable and unexpected success in a recording career, selling an estimated 22 million records and performing in front of integrated and secular audiences in concert halls around the world. Wikipedia
American musician, songwriter, and record producer who is most famous for his role as frontman for Sly and the Family Stone, playing a critical role in the development of funk with his pioneering fusion of soul, rock, psychedelia, and gospel in the 1960s and 1970s. Early age and performed gospel music as a child with siblings Freddie and Rose. Wikipedia
American singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer. Starting in the early 1950s as the lead singer of his family musical group the Valentinos and as Sam Cooke's backing guitarist, Womack's career spanned more than 60 years and multiple styles, including R&B, soul, rock and roll, doo-wop, and gospel. Wikipedia
American singer, songwriter, actor, and producer. One of the creative forces behind the Southern soul music label Stax Records, where he served both as an in-house songwriter and as a session musician and record producer, teaming with his partner David Porter during the mid-1960s. Wikipedia
American singer, songwriter and record producer best known for recording a series of soul hit singles in the early 1970s, including "Take Me to the River", "Tired of Being Alone", "I'm Still in Love with You", "Love and Happiness", and his signature song, "Let's Stay Together". Incident in which his girlfriend died by suicide, Green became an ordained pastor and turned to gospel music. Wikipedia
American R&B and soul singer, songwriter, bandleader, talent scout, record producer, and musician, who played an integral and important part in the development of soul and funk music in association with James Brown. Byrd began his career in 1952 as member of the gospel group the Gospel Starlighters, who later changed their name to the Avons in 1953 and the Five Royals in 1954, before settling on the name the Flames in 1955 prior to Brown's joining the group; their agent later changed it to The Famous Flames. Wikipedia
American singer, songwriter and guitarist, and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. Nicknamed the "Father of Rock and Roll", Berry refined and developed rhythm and blues into the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive with songs such as "Maybellene" (1955), "Roll Over Beethoven" (1956), "Rock and Roll Music" (1957) and "Johnny B. Goode" (1958). Wikipedia
Sentences forCurtis Mayfield
- A reunion with Jeff Beck produced a successful take on Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready", but an attempt to tour together fell apart after a few dates.
- With the assistance of Chuck Jackson and Marvin Yancy, a songwriting and producing duo, she recorded some songs in a studio in Chicago that was owned by Curtis Mayfield.
- Redding was the first recipient of the award for The Otis Redding Story on Stax; following winners of the award include Aretha Franklin, Ike & Tina Turner, and Curtis Mayfield.
- In October 2017, it was reported that Richie had secured the rights to produce a Curtis Mayfield biopic.
- The film's score was composed by Curtis Mayfield, and the soundtrack album by Aretha Franklin was a commercial success.
- Duane Allman created the idea of having two lead guitarists, which was inspired by Curtis Mayfield; "[he] wanted the bass, keyboards, and second guitar to form patterns behind the solo rather than just comping," said Allman.
- He began singing in the Greater Mount Olive Baptist Church choir at the age of seven and later sang with local groups through which he met Sam Cooke, who was nearly three years older, and Curtis Mayfield.
- Much of the success of Okeh in the 1960s was dependent on producer Carl Davis and songwriter Curtis Mayfield.
- That year Kravitz also got to work with idols Al Green and Curtis Mayfield.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Curtis Mayfield