Topics similar to or like East Antarctica
East Antarctica, also called Greater Antarctica, constitutes the majority (two-thirds) of the Antarctic continent, lying on the Indian Ocean side of the continent, separated from West Antarctica by the Transantarctic Mountains. Wikipedia
The wildlife of Antarctica are extremophiles, having to adapt to the dryness, low temperatures, and high exposure common in Antarctica. The extreme weather of the interior contrasts to the relatively mild conditions on the Antarctic Peninsula and the subantarctic islands, which have warmer temperatures and more liquid water. Wikipedia
The Southern Ocean, also known as the Antarctic Ocean or the Austral Ocean, comprises the southernmost waters of the World Ocean, generally taken to be south of 60° S latitude and encircling Antarctica. Regarded as the second-smallest of the five principal oceanic divisions: smaller than the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian oceans but larger than the Arctic Ocean. Wikipedia
Segment of the continental ice sheet that covers West Antarctica, the portion of Antarctica on the side of the Transantarctic Mountains that lies in the Western Hemisphere. Classified as a marine-based ice sheet, meaning that its bed lies well below sea level and its edges flow into floating ice shelves. Wikipedia
Sentences forEast Antarctica
- In 1853 Cooper traveled with an expedition to the far South, where he broke through the ice shelf to become the first person to touch East Antarctica.
- Separation between Australia and East Antarctica began c. undefined with sea-floor spreading occurring c. undefined.
- According to ice modelling, ice over central East Antarctica was generally thinner than today.
- Colonies have declined on the Antarctic Peninsula since the early 1980s, but those declines have been more than offset by increases in East Antarctica.
- Positioned in East Antarctica, the territory comprises about one-fifth of the total area of Antarctica.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: East Antarctica