Recurring events similar to or like Handover of Hong Kong
The transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong, commonly known as the handover of Hong Kong (or simply the Handover, also the Return in mainland China), occurred at midnight at the start of 1 July 1997, when the United Kingdom returned sovereignty over the British Dependent Territory of Hong Kong to China. Wikipedia
The handover ceremony of Hong Kong in 1997 officially marked the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the People's Republic of China. Internationally televised event with the ceremony commencing on the night of 30 June 1997 and finishing on the morning of 1 July 1997. Wikipedia
Set of significant constitutional changes in the last years of British colonial rule in Hong Kong before the handover of its sovereignty to the People's Republic of China on 1 July 1997. The reform aimed at broadening the electorate base of the three-tiers elections in 1994 and 1995. Wikipedia
Class of British nationality that was granted by voluntary registration to Hong Kong residents who had been British Dependent Territories citizens (BDTCs) before the transfer of sovereignty to China in 1997. Individuals with this nationality are British nationals and Commonwealth citizens, but not British citizens. Wikipedia
Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army , responsible for defence duties in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) since the sovereignty of Hong Kong was transferred to China in 1997. Under British rule, and the defence of the territory was the responsibility of the British Forces Overseas Hong Kong, with auxiliary help from the Royal Hong Kong Regiment. Wikipedia
Hong Kong Affairs Advisers were appointed by the Chinese government after the last Governor of Hong Kong, Chris Patten carried out his electoral reform in the British Hong Kong, in the eve of the handover of the sovereignty of the city-state from the British Empire to the People's Republic of China in 1997. David Akers-Jones Wikipedia
Sentences forHandover of Hong Kong
- The force played a prominent role in the process of the handover of sovereignty in 1997 and continues to perform ceremonial flag-raising on each anniversary.
- The UK eventually agreed to transfer the entire territory to China upon the expiration of that lease in 1997 after obtaining guarantees to "preserve its systems, freedoms, and way of life" for at least 50 years.
- Patten was then appointed the last governor of Hong Kong, to oversee the final years of British administration in the colony and prepare for its transfer to China in 1997.
- The majority of Chinese emigrants have traditionally originated from Guangdong and Guangxi, as well as Hong Kong and Macau (beginning in the latter half of the 20th century and before the Handover) and Southeast Asia, with Cantonese as their native language.
- The last date eligible applicants could register was on 31 December 1997, if they were born in that year and prior to the transfer of sovereignty.
- The whole territory was transferred to China in 1997.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Handover of Hong Kong