Topics similar to or like History of Antarctica
The history of Antarctica emerges from early Western theories of a vast continent, known as Terra Australis, believed to exist in the far south of the globe. Wikipedia
The Southern Ocean, also known as the Antarctic Ocean or the Austral Ocean, comprises the southernmost waters of the World Ocean, generally taken to be south of 60° S latitude and encircling Antarctica. Regarded as the second-smallest of the five principal oceanic divisions: smaller than the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian oceans but larger than the Arctic Ocean. Wikipedia
Farthest South refers to the most southerly latitude reached by explorers before the conquest of the South Pole in 1911. Significant steps on the road to the pole were the discovery of lands south of Cape Horn in 1619, Captain James Cook's crossing of the Antarctic Circle in 1773, and the earliest confirmed sightings of the Antarctic mainland in 1820. Wikipedia
Era in the exploration of the continent of Antarctica which began at the end of the 19th century, and ended after the First World War; the Shackleton–Rowett Expedition of 1921–1922 is often cited by historians as the dividing line between the "Heroic" and "Mechanical" ages. During the Heroic Age, the Antarctic region became the focus of international efforts that resulted in intensive scientific and geographical exploration by 17 major Antarctic expeditions launched from ten countries. Wikipedia
Hypothetical continent first posited in antiquity and which appeared on maps between the 15th and 18th centuries. Not based on any survey or direct observation, but rather on the idea that continental land in the Northern Hemisphere should be balanced by land in the Southern Hemisphere. Wikipedia
Sentences forHistory of Antarctica
- Christchurch is one of five 'gateway cities' for Antarctic exploration, hosting Antarctic support bases for several nations.
- Cape Adare was an important landing site and base camp during early Antarctic exploration.
- Fisher describes the expedition as representing "the dividing line between what has become known as the Heroic Age of Antarctic exploration and the Mechanical Age".
- Ross Island was the base for many of the early expeditions to Antarctica.
- Antarctica was finally sighted in the hypothetical area of Terra Australis in 1820.
- Lovecraft had a lifelong interest in Antarctic exploration.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: History of Antarctica