Recurring events similar to or like Hosay
Muslim Indo-Caribbean commemoration that is popularly observed in Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, and Jamaica. Wikipedia
Small community of Indians in Argentina who are mainly immigrants from India and the neighboring countries in South America and the Caribbean with Indo-Caribbean influence and some of whom were born in Argentina and are of Indian heritage. The first Indians to arrive in Argentina were Sikhs from the Indian state of Punjab who came to Argentina in the early 20th century to work on a British-built railroad. Wikipedia
Girmitiya or Jahajis are indentured Indian labourers that were brought to Fiji, Mauritius, South Africa, East Africa, and the Caribbean (mostly Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, and Jamaica) to work on sugarcane plantations for the prosperity of the European settlers and save the Fijians from having to work on these plantations and thus to preserve their culture. Term that has been coined into "Girmit", referring to the "Agreement" of the British Government with the Indian labourers as to the length of stay in Fiji and the Caribbean, and when they would be allowed to go back to India. Wikipedia
Caribbean English dialects of the English language are spoken in the Caribbean and Liberia, most countries on the Caribbean coast of Central America, and Guyana and Suriname on the coast of South America. Influenced by the English-based Creole varieties spoken in the region, but they are not the same. Wikipedia
Indo-Caribbean Americans or Indian-Caribbean Americans, are Americans who trace their ancestry ultimately to India, though whose recent ancestors lived in the Caribbean, where they began migrating in 1838 as indentured laborers. There are large groups of Indo-Trinidadians, Indo-Guyanese, Indo-Surinamese, and Indo-Jamaicans in the United States, especially in the New York metropolitan area and Florida. Wikipedia
Long steel rod based percussion instrument (sounding similar to the triangle), which was adapted from the iron "bows" that yoked the oxen that pulled the carts on the estates in Guyana, Suriname, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, other parts of the Caribbean, Fiji, Mauritius, and South Africa. Actual horseshoe, a shape which is still retained in the dhantal's modern context as a musical instrument. Wikipedia
Crossover style of music incorporating soca and calypso elements and English, Hindustani, and Hinglish lyrics, chutney music, with Western instruments such as the guitar, piano, drum set, and Indian instruments such as the dholak, harmonium, tabla, and dhantal. First coined by Drupatee Ramgoonai of Trinidad and Tobago in 1987 in her first album entitled Chutney Soca, with a mix of Trinidadian English and Trinidadian Hindustani versions of the songs. Wikipedia
Eaten mainly in the eastern Indian state of Bihar, as well as in the places where people originating from the state of Bihar have settled: Jharkhand, Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mauritius, South Africa, Fiji, some cities of Pakistan, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Jamaica, and the Caribbean. Bihari cuisine includes Bhojpuri cuisine, Maithil cuisine and Magahi cuisine. Wikipedia
Jamaica–Trinidad and Tobago relations are bilateral relations with current and historical relationship between Jamaica and the Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad and Tobago has a high commission in Kingston and Jamaica has a high commission in Port of Spain. Wikipedia
- The Muslim holidays of Ashura (known locally as Hussay or Hosay) and Eid have been celebrated throughout the island for hundreds of years.
- St. James is mecca for the annual Hosay Festival, when it is possible to hear classical tassa drumming, as small effigies of mosques parade through the streets.
- The Muslim populations numbers 4.97%, and is noted for their annual Hosay celebration.
- Festivals rooted in the various religions practiced on the islands are also popular, such as Christmas, Hosay, Eid al-Fitr, Divali and Phagwah.
- Tassa is drumming used in the Muslim Hosay festival, and is also played during Hindu weddings and other celebrations.
- Aranguez Savannah hosts major celebrations and events including Holi, Diwali, Eid al-Fitr, Hosay, Carnival, cricket games, and The Samaan Tree Rock Festival among many other live concerts.
- In Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica all ethnic and religious communities participate in the event, locally known as "Hosay" or "Hussay".
- In the Caribbean islands of Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica Ashura, known locally as 'Hussay' or Hosay is commemorated for the grandson of Muhammad, but its celebration has adopted influence from other religions including Roman Catholic, Hindu, and Baptists, making it a mixture of different cultures and religion.
- See articles on Eid ul-Fitr, Eid ul-Adha, Ashurah (see also Hosay and Tabuik), Mawlid, Lailat al Miraj and Shab-e-baraat.
- Divali and Eid ul-Fitr are national holidays, and Hosay (Ashura) and Phagwah are widely celebrated.
- In the past, every plantation in each parish celebrated Hosay.
- Major holidays such as Diwali, Phagwah, Eid, Hosay, Easter, and Christmas are celebrated with a distinct flavor unique to the Caribbean.
- Hosay is the local manifestation of the Shia Muslim Remembrance of Muharram in Trinidad and Tobago (where is it spelled Hussay).
- It is most notable as the scene of the Hosay which his held annually in May or June.
- Special Eid, Hosay, and other Muslim festival foods include curry goat, sewiyan, burfi, rasgulla, sirni, halwa, and baklawa.
- Tassa-dhol ensembles of three to five players are especially common in street processions, whether associated with Indian weddings, political rallies, Hindu festivals, or Muslim festivals, especially Muharram (known as "Hosay" in Trinidad, a colloquialization of "Hussain").
- The Hosay massacre (also known as the Hosay riots or the Jahaji massacre) took place on 30 October 1884 in San Fernando, Trinidad when the British colonial authorities fired on participants in the annual Hosay procession (the local name for the Shi'a Festival of Muharram) who had been banned from entering the town.
- South Florida has become a destination for roti shops, sari/Indian clothing boutiques, threading, mandirs/kovils, masjids, Indian churches, and annual Diwali, Phagwah, Navratri, Hanuman Jayanti, Maha Shivaratri, Vasant Panchami, Ram Navami, Krishna Janmastami, Kartik Purnima, Durga Puja, Guru Purnima, Ganesh Chaturthi, Pitru Paksha, Chhath Puja, Dussehra, Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha, Ramadan, Hosay, Islamic New Year, All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day, Corpus Christi, Epiphany, Lent, Christmas, and Easter religious events.
- Brought by indentured workers to the Caribbean, Fiji, Mauritius, and Africa in the 19th century, tassa ensembles have flourished with great dynamism in Trinidad and Tobago, where they were used in the Hindu Phagwah, Muslim Hosay festival, and also in Florida, Guyana, New York, Suriname, United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Texas, New Jersey, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and various other places where Indo-Caribbean communities are found.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Hosay