Hurricanes similar to or like Hurricane Harvey
Devastating Category 4 hurricane that made landfall on Texas and Louisiana in August 2017, causing catastrophic flooding and many deaths. Wikipedia
The costliest tropical cyclone on record , inflicting roughly $125 billion in damage across the Houston metropolitan area and Southeast Texas. It lasted from mid-August until early September 2017, with many records for rainfall and landfall intensity set during that time. Wikipedia
Extremely active tropical cyclone season and the costliest on record, with a damage total of at least $294.92 billion . The season featured 17 named storms, 10 hurricanes, and 6 major hurricanes, making the season the sixth-most active Atlantic hurricane season on record, tied with 1936. Wikipedia
Deadly and destructive Category 4 hurricane that was tied with the 1856 Last Island hurricane as the strongest hurricane on record to make landfall in the U.S. state of Louisiana, as measured by maximum sustained winds. The twelfth named storm, fourth hurricane, and first major hurricane of the record-breaking 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, Laura originated from a large tropical wave that moved off the West African coast on August 16 and became a tropical depression on August 20. Wikipedia
Second-deadliest Atlantic hurricane on record, causing over 11,000 fatalities in Central America in 1998, including approximately 7,000 in Honduras and 3,800 in Nicaragua due to catastrophic flooding from the slow motion of the storm. The deadliest hurricane in Central American history, surpassing Hurricane Fifi–Orlene, which killed slightly fewer people there in 1974. Wikipedia
Devastating Category 4 hurricane that caused heavy damage across parts of Central America in early November 2020. The record-tying twenty-eighth named storm, twelfth hurricane and fifth major hurricane of the extremely active 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, Eta originated from a vigorous tropical wave in the eastern Caribbean Sea on October 31. Wikipedia
Large Category 5 Atlantic hurricane which caused over 1,800 deaths and $125 billion in damage in August 2005, particularly in the city of New Orleans and the surrounding areas. At the time the costliest tropical cyclone on record, and is now tied with 2017's Hurricane Harvey. Wikipedia
Extremely powerful and devastating Category 5 Atlantic hurricane, which became the most intense tropical cyclone on record to strike the Bahamas, and is also regarded as the worst natural disaster in the country's recorded history. Also one of the most powerful hurricanes recorded in the Atlantic Ocean in terms of 1-minute sustained winds, with those winds peaking at 185 mph . Wikipedia
Powerful and destructive Category 5 Atlantic hurricane that struck the Bahamas, Florida, and Louisiana in August 1992. Most destructive hurricane to ever hit Florida in terms of structures damaged or destroyed, and was the costliest in financial terms until Hurricane Irma surpassed it 25 years later. Wikipedia
Tropical cyclone that reaches Category 5 intensity on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale, within the Atlantic Ocean to the north of the equator. They are among the strongest tropical cyclones that can form on Earth, having 1-minute sustained wind speeds of at least 137 kn. Wikipedia
List of costliest Atlantic hurricanes, broadly capturing the severity of the damage each system has caused. Held jointly by hurricanes Katrina and Harvey, both of which resulted in approximately $125 billion in property damage during the year they occurred. Wikipedia
The strongest hurricane to form during the 1971 Atlantic hurricane season and formerly the southernmost landfalling Category 5 hurricane on record in the Atlantic until 2007. Edith also stands as one of the only Category 5 Atlantic hurricanes to not have its name retired, next to 1953's Hurricane Carol, 1961's Hurricane Esther and 2005's Hurricane Emily. Wikipedia
Large tropical cyclone that caused extensive flooding and mudslides throughout Central America and Mexico in September 1993. The seventh named storm and third hurricane of the annual hurricane season, Gert originated as a tropical depression from a tropical wave over the southwestern Caribbean Sea on September 14. Wikipedia
Sentences forHurricane Harvey
- In 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Rockport as a Category 4 Hurricane, causing significant damage there.
- During the mid-2010s, Greater Houston experienced consecutive major flood events in 2015 ("Memorial Day"), 2016 ("Tax Day"), and 2017 (Hurricane Harvey).
- During Hurricane Harvey in August 2017, Beyoncé launched BeyGOOD Houston to support those affected by the hurricane in Houston.
- In response to Hurricane Harvey, Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston initiated plans to require developers to build homes that will be less susceptible to flooding by raising them two feet above the 500-year floodplain.
- Both athletes were recognized for their efforts in helping rebuild the city of Houston following Hurricane Harvey in addition to Altuve being a part of the Astros team that won the franchise's first World Series in 2017.
- Even worse flooding happened in late August 2017, when Hurricane Harvey stalled over southeastern Texas, much like Tropical Storm Allison did sixteen years earlier, causing severe flooding in the Houston area, with some areas receiving over 50 in of rain.
- In 2017, the destruction and flooding caused during Hurricane Harvey a few days before their Week 4 pre-season match up time scheduled caused the game to be relocated to AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
- It was at the time the costliest tropical cyclone on record, and is now tied with 2017's Hurricane Harvey.
- The only other major publication to serve the city is the Houston Press—which was a free alternative weekly newspaper before the destruction caused by Hurricane Harvey resulted in the publication switching to an online-only format on November 2, 2017.
- During an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in August 2017, Cyrus revealed that she would be donating $500,000 to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
- Hurricanes rarely hit the city, but those which have been destructive, such as the 1919 Florida Keys hurricane and Hurricane Harvey in 2017.
- C-130s temporarily based at Kelly Field conducted mosquito control aerial spray applications over areas of eastern Texas devastated by Hurricane Harvey.
- Swift donated to the Houston Food Bank after Hurricane Harvey struck the city in 2017.
- Katrina is the costliest tropical cyclone on record, tying with Hurricane Harvey in 2017.
- In August 2017, Beaumont and surrounding areas experienced severe flooding as a result of Hurricane Harvey.
- Both Hurricane Harvey in 2017 and Tropical Storm Imelda in 2019 caused historic flooding throughout the city.
- In 2017, the city was affected by Hurricane Harvey then by Hurricane Hanna in 2020.
- The company has engaged in disaster relief efforts, including after Hurricanes Katrina, Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
- In August 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall along the central Texas coast, then migrated to and stalled over the greater Houston area for several days, producing extreme, unprecedented rainfall totals of over 40 inches (1,000 mm) in many areas, unleashing widespread flooding.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Hurricane Harvey