Ethnic groups similar to or like Indo-Canadians
Indian Canadians are Canadians with ancestry from India. Wikipedia
South Asian Canadians ; ; are Canadians who were either born in or can trace their ancestry to South Asia, which includes the nations of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal and the Maldives. Subgroup of Asian Canadian and, according to Statistics Canada, can further be divided by nationality, such as Indian Canadian, Bangladeshi Canadian and Pakistani Canadian. Wikipedia
Designation used for people of full or partial sub-Saharan African descent, who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada. The majority of "Black" Canadians are of Caribbean origin, though the population also consists of African-American immigrants and their descendants (including Black Nova Scotians), as well as many native African immigrants. Wikipedia
Italian Canadians (italo-canadesi, italo-canadiens) comprise Canadians who have full or partial Italian heritage and Italians who migrated from Italy or reside in Canada. According to the 2016 Census of Canada, 1,587,970 Canadians (4.6% of the total population) claimed full or partial Italian ancestry. Wikipedia
Process by which people migrate to Canada for the purpose of residing there—and where a majority go on to become Canadian citizens. As of 2019, Canada has the eighth largest immigrant populations in the world, while foreign-born people make up about one-fifth (21% in 2019) of Canada’s population—one of the highest ratios for industrialized Western countries. Wikipedia
Southern European Canadians are Canadians of Southern European ancestry. Southern European Canadian people can usually trace back full or partial heritage to Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Southern France, Yugoslavia, and other nations in, or ethnoculturally connected with, Mediterranean Europe. Wikipedia
History of Canadian citizens who follow Judaism as their religion and/or are ethnically Jewish. Jewish Canadians are a part of the greater Jewish diaspora and form the fourth largest Jewish community in the world, exceeded only by those in Israel, the United States, and France. Wikipedia
Japanese Canadians (日系カナダ人) are Canadian citizens of Japanese ancestry. Japanese Canadians are mostly concentrated in Western Canada, especially in the province of British Columbia, which hosts the largest Japanese community in the country with the majority of them living in and around Vancouver. Wikipedia
Bangladeshi Canadians (Canadiens Bangladais) are Canadian citizens of Bangladeshi descent, first-generation Bangladeshi immigrants, or descendants of Bangladeshis who emigrated to Canada. The term may also refer to people who hold dual Bangladeshi and Canadian citizenship. Wikipedia
The table below lists the census metropolitan areas and agglomerations in Canada by population, using data from the Canada 2016 Census. Identified as a census metropolitan area or a census agglomeration (CA) as defined by Statistics Canada. Wikipedia
Northwestern European Canadians are Canadians of Northwestern European ancestry. Northwestern European Canadian people can usually trace back full or partial heritage to Great Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Northern Germany, Belgium, Northern France, and other nations related with the region geographically or culturally. Wikipedia
Overseas Indians, officially known as non-resident Indians (NRIs) or persons of Indian origin (PIOs), are people of Indian birth, descent or origin who live outside the Republic of India. According to a Ministry of External Affairs report, there are 32 million NRIs and PIOs residing outside India. Wikipedia
- In Canada, Indo-Canadians are the second largest non-European ethnic group and one of the fastest growing ethnic communities in the country.
- Today temples, newspapers, radio stations, and markets cater to these large, multi-generational Indo-Canadian groups.
- Since 2017, the NDP has been led by Jagmeet Singh, who is the first Indo-Canadian to lead a major federal party in Canada.
- The logging industry of the 1970s brought many Indo-Canadians into the Kamloops area, mostly from the Punjab region of India.
- The top countries of birth for the newcomers living in Hamilton in the 1990s were: former Yugoslavia, Poland, India, China, the Philippines, and Iraq.
- Filipino Canadians are the third-largest Asian Canadian group in the nation after the Indian and Chinese communities.
- Jagjeet Singh Hans (born April 3, 1944) is an Indo-Canadian semi-retired professional wrestler, known better by his ring name Tiger Jeet Singh.
- Other ethnic groups present in Happy Valley-Goose Bay included Filipino Canadians (1.8%) and Indo-Canadians (1.1%).
- Dosanjh was successful and became Premier on February 24, 2000, Canada's first Indo-Canadian provincial leader.
- Canadians of Indian descent made up the majority of the passengers.
- The band consists of Indo-Canadian Danko Jones (vocals/guitar), John 'JC' Calabrese (bass), and Rich Knox (drums).
- Bhagwaan Singh Giani was head priest of the Gurdwara in Vancouver and had been one of three delegates sent to London and India to represent the case of Indians in Canada.
- Indian diaspora of Telugu origin are found widespread, especially in the USA, Myanmar, Malaysia, South Africa, Australia and Canada, mostly around the Anglosphere.
- Lisa Rani Ray (born 4 April 1972) is an Indian Canadian actress.
- Known as Indo-Canadians, they continue to play a crucial part in the economy—Aspen Planers Ltd., a major employer in the city, and many other businesses, restaurants and hotels in Merritt are owned by members of this group.
- Vaughan has small but growing Chinese, Hispanic, Jamaican, Indian and Vietnamese populations.
- In 1991 she made her feature-film directorial debut with Sam & Me (starring Om Puri), a story of the relationship between a young Indian boy and an elderly Jewish gentleman in the Toronto neighbourhood of Parkdale.
- Rupi Kaur (born 4 October 1992) is an Indian-born Canadian poet, illustrator, and author.
- Nonetheless, around the 1960s, Indo-Canadians would establish themselves in Canada's exurban and rural agriculture, especially becoming a dominant feature in British Columbia’s farming sector.
- With 20th century immigration of South Asians around the world, especially to the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States, ethnic stereotyping of South Asians has become common place.
- The elder of two sons, Oppal was born in Vancouver to immigrant parents from India.
- 2% of Indo-Canadians in British Columbia are Punjabi Sikhs.
- She is of Scottish, Spanish, Indian, and Chinese ancestry.
- Gadowar Singh Sahota (Punjabi: ਗਦੋਵਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਹੋਤਾ); born December 8, 1954) is an Indo-Canadian semi-retired professional wrestler known as Gama Singh (Punjabi: ਗਾਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ) and Great Gama currently signed with Impact Wrestling as a manager for Desi Hit Squad.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Indo-Canadians