Historic sites similar to or like Kilwa Kisiwani
Community on an Indian Ocean island off the southern coast of present-day Tanzania in eastern Africa. Wikipedia
The Wildlife of Seychelles comprises the flora and fauna of the Seychelles islands off the eastern coast of Africa in the western Indian Ocean. In common with many fragile island ecosystems, the early human history of Seychelles saw the loss of biodiversity including the disappearance of most of the giant tortoises from the granitic islands, felling of coastal and mid-level forests and extinction of species such as the Marianne white-eye, Seychelles parakeet, Seychelles black terrapin, and the saltwater crocodile. Wikipedia
Coastal town located at the far end of Lindi Bay, on the Indian Ocean in southeastern Tanzania. 450 kilometers south of Dar es Salaam and 105 kilometers north of Mtwara, the southernmost coastal town in Tanzania, and gives its name to the surrounding Lindi Region, one of the most sparsely populated areas of the country. Wikipedia
Tarutao National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติตะรุเตา) consists of 51 islands in the Strait of Malacca, off the coast of Satun Province of southern Thailand. The Tarutao National Park consists of two island groups: Tarutao (หมู่เกาะตะรุเตา, or ) and Adang-Rawi (หมู่เกาะอาดัง-ราวี, ), which are scattered from 20 to 70 kilometres' distance from the south-westernmost point of mainland Thailand. Wikipedia
The East African mangroves are a mangrove ecoregion consisting of swamps along the Indian Ocean coast of East Africa in Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya and southern Somalia. The ecoregion consists of two large areas of mangrove in the deltas of the Zambezi in Mozambique and the Rufiji River in Tanzania, which can extend as far as 50 km inland, as well as smaller areas along the coast. Wikipedia
Country in East Africa within the African Great Lakes region. It borders Uganda to the north; Kenya to the northeast; Comoro Islands and the Indian Ocean to the east; Mozambique and Malawi to the south; Zambia to the southwest; and Rwanda, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the west. Wikipedia
Rock islet or small island, located in the Southern Ocean, off the southern coast of Tasmania, Australia. Situated approximately 26 km south southeast of South East Cape and is contained within the Southwest National Park, part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Site. Wikipedia
Sentences forKilwa Kisiwani
- After a journey along the coast, Ibn Battuta next arrived in the island town of Kilwa in present-day Tanzania, which had become an important transit centre of the gold trade.
- The earliest known documents written in Swahili are letters written in Kilwa,in Tanzania in 1711 in the Arabic script that were sent to the Portuguese of Mozambique and their local allies.
- When mentioned, the slave trade appears to be of a small-scale and mostly involves slave raiding of women and children along the islands of Kilwa Kisiwani, Madagascar, and Pemba.
- The expedition then went north, and on 26 May reached Kilwa Kisiwani, where Cabral made an unsuccessful attempt to negotiate a treaty with its king.
- Livingstone advocated the establishment of trade and religious missions in central Africa, but abolition of the African slave trade, as carried out by the Portuguese of Tete and the Arab Swahili of Kilwa, became his primary goal.
- Archaeological evidence suggests that Great Zimbabwe became a centre for trading, with artefacts suggesting that the city formed part of a trade network linked to Kilwa and extending as far as China.
- Upon visiting Kilwa in 1331, the great Berber explorer Ibn Battuta was impressed by the substantial beauty that he encountered there.
- In 1502, the sultanate became independent from Kilwa Kisiwani and was renamed as Mvita (in Swahili) or Manbasa (Arabic).
- Although today Kilwa is in ruins, historically it was one of the most powerful city states on the Swahili coast.
- Copper coins found at Kilwa Kisiwani appear to be of the same pure ore found on the Swahili coast.
- In post-classical Kilwa The wealthy enjoyed indoor plumbing in their stone homes.
- The Somali-Ottoman offensive managed to drive out the Portuguese from several important cities such as Pate, Mombasa and Kilwa.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Kilwa Kisiwani