UK countries similar to or like Northern Ireland
Variously described as a country, province, or region which is part of the United Kingdom. Wikipedia
The process by which the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland divided Ireland into two self-governing polities: Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland (now Republic of Ireland). It took place on 3 May 1921 under the Government of Ireland Act 1920. Wikipedia
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK), since 1922, comprises four constituent countries: England, Scotland, and Wales (which collectively make up Great Britain), as well as Northern Ireland (variously described as a country, province or region). The UK Prime Minister's website has used the phrase "countries within a country" to describe the United Kingdom. Wikipedia
Sentences forNorthern Ireland
- Ireland's citizenship laws relate to "the island of Ireland", including islands and seas, thereby extending them to Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom.
- When 13 civil rights demonstrators in Northern Ireland were killed by British soldiers on 30 January 1972 (known as Bloody Sunday), The Guardian said that "Neither side can escape condemnation."
- It gave Ireland complete independence in its home affairs and practical independence for foreign policy, but an opt-out clause allowed Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom, which (as expected) it immediately exercised.
- The state extends over an area of about five-sixths (70273 km2) of the island of Ireland (84421 km2), with Northern Ireland constituting the remainder.
- Other routes, served by multiple companies, connect southwest Scotland to Northern Ireland.
- Since devolution, in which other countries of the United Kingdom – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – each have their own devolved parliament or assemblies for local issues, there has been debate about how to counterbalance this in England.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Northern Ireland