Topics similar to or like Queer
Umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or are not cisgender. Wikipedia
Socio-political system where (primarily) cisgender males and heterosexuals have authority over cisgender females and over other sexual orientations and gender identities. Term that emphasizes that discrimination of women and LGBTQ people has the same sexist social principle. Wikipedia
Gender and sexual diversity (GSD), or simply sexual diversity, refers to all the diversities of sex characteristics, sexual orientations and gender identities, without the need to specify each of the identities, behaviors, or characteristics that form this plurality. In the Western world, generally simple classifications are used to describe sexual orientation (heterosexuals, homosexuals and bisexuals), gender identity (transgender and cisgender), and related minorities (intersex), gathered under the acronyms LGBT or LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual people, and sometimes intersex people); however, other cultures have other ways of understanding the sex and gender systems. Wikipedia
Term that describes a political approach wherein people of a particular religion, race, social background, class or other identifying factor develop political agendas and organize based upon the interlocking systems of oppression that affect their lives and come from their various identities. Identity politics centers the lived experiences of those facing various systems of oppression to better understand the ways in which racial, economic, sex-based, gender-based, and other forms of oppression are linked and to ensure that political agendas and political actions arising out of identity politics leave no one behind. Wikipedia
Incorporation of the LGBT movement and sexual diversity to capitalism and the market economy, viewed especially in a critical lens as this incorporation pertains to the LGBT, Western, white, and affluent, upper middle class communities and market. Targeted inclusion of the gay community which has acquired sufficient purchasing power to generate a market focused specifically on them. Wikipedia
Pioneer of the transgender community in Puerto Rico as well as the first person in Puerto Rico to change the gender designation on their birth certificate following gender confirmation surgery. A native of Puerto Rico, Santiago had gender confirmation surgery in 1975 at the age of 28 while living in New York City. Wikipedia
Romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between persons of the opposite sex or gender. Enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" to persons of the opposite sex; it "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions." Wikipedia
Act of disclosing an LGBT person's sexual orientation or gender identity without that person's consent. Outing gives rise to issues of privacy, choice, hypocrisy, and harm in addition to sparking debate on what constitutes common good in efforts to combat homophobia and heterosexism. Wikipedia
Queer pornography depicts performers with various gender identities and sexual orientations interacting and exploring genres of desire and pleasure in unique ways. These conveyed interactions distinctively seek to challenge the conventional modes of portraying and experiencing sexually explicit content. Wikipedia
Heterosexual practice or identity that is controversially called queer, a term that was traditionally used to describe individuals or anything that is strange, different, and out of the ordinary. First discussed in the mid-1990s, critically within radical feminism, and as a positive identification by Clyde Smith in a paper delivered at a conference in Amsterdam in 1997; In 2003, The Village Voice published an article called "The Queer Heterosexual", which has since been cited by others using the term. Wikipedia
Transfeminism, also written trans feminism, has been defined by scholar and activist Emi Koyama as "a movement by and for trans women who view their liberation to be intrinsically linked to the liberation of all women and beyond." Also open to other queers, intersex people, trans men, non-trans women, non-trans men and others who are sympathetic toward needs of trans women and consider their alliance with trans women to be essential for their own liberation." Wikipedia
Study of issues relating to sexual orientation and gender identity usually focusing on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender dysphoria, asexual, queer, questioning, intersex people and cultures. Examination of the identity, lives, history, and perception of queer people. Wikipedia
American academic scholar in the fields of gender studies, queer theory (queer studies), and critical theory. Sedgwick published several books considered "groundbreaking" in the field of queer theory, including Between Men: English Literature and Male Homosocial Desire (1985), Epistemology of the Closet (1990), and Tendencies (1993). Wikipedia
Social role encompassing a range of behaviors and attitudes that are generally considered acceptable, appropriate, or desirable for a person based on that person's biological or perceived sex. Gender roles are usually centered on conceptions of masculinity and femininity, although there are exceptions and variations. Wikipedia
Impacted by the development of nationalism. Sometimes referred to as "gendered nationalism," gender and nationalism describes the phenomena whereby conceptions of the state or nation, including notions of citizenship, sovereignty, or national identity contribute to or arise in relation to gender roles. Wikipedia
- He is best known for his best-selling novels Last Summer, Looking for It, and Full Circle and for his five essay collections in the "Trials of My Queer Life" series.
- Waters often employs the word "queer" to describe the unusual or remarkable, instead of its post-1922 connotation to refer to homosexuality.
- The Bendigo Queer Film Festival (BQFF) is one of Australia's few regional annual festivals celebrating the Queer film genre.
- They are one of the only group of spirits directly tied to these characteristics and those who become possessed (through spirit possession) often are women or Masisi (Feminine and or Queer men).
- Queer scientists submit short descriptions of their lives to the organization; these are manually checked and proof-read before being posted to the group's website.
- After several years of study he left his doctorate unfinished to pursue a career in cinema and went on to direct films related to his research on Queer.
- Some of his works, therefore, reflect upon and explore the complexities of Native Two-Spirit or Queer identities.
- Most critics referred to it as idealized, paternalistic utopia, Arcadia or paradise lost, though some claim to have found sadomasochist and homosexual threads in his writings.
- Geeks OUT is a New York City-based, non-profit organization, founded in 2010, whose mission is to rally, empower, and promote the queer geek community.
- In the year 2000, a memorial to all veterans and to Queer veterans was dedicated in the national veterans cemetery in Phoenix, Arizona.
- The lack of references by characters to their sexual orientation came from the developers feeling that most media dealing with queer people was about societal issues and not about the relationships themselves.
- Psychologist Margie Nichols describes kink as one of the "variations that make up the 'Q' in LGBTQ".
- Further, Perls encouraged business acquaintances to refer to him as a "faggot", for the pure shock value.
- Mix Brasil was formed in 1993 and in the following year, by the same organizers and bearing the same name, one of the most important Brazilian GLBTT Internet portals of pop Queer information was formed.
- The BRC has at least two caucuses, subgroups within the organization, the labor and working-class caucus and the Pat Parker Queer Caucus.
- Conrad identifies as Queer.
- Queer and transgender employees of Naughty Dog gave input on the character, and the team consulted with an LGBTQ scholar.
- By the early 1990s, lesbian culture was being influenced by a younger generation who had not taken part in the "Feminist Sex Wars" and this strongly informed post-feminist queer theory along with the new queer culture.
- In his authorship, Justin Chin dealt with identity categories such as Asian American, Gay writer and Queer.
- The freedom with which he revealed in print and in public his romantic and sexual relations with men (notably in a late essay, "Being Queer"), proved to be one of the many important cultural springboards for the emerging gay liberation movement of the early 1970s.
- After numerous years of working in theatre he moved to France and went on to study for his master's degree then doctorate in Arts of the Stage at Paris 8 University, under the direction of professor Claude Amey, his main focus on "Queer Arts".
- The freedom with which he revealed, in print and in public, his romantic and sexual relations with men (notably in a late essay, "Being Queer" ), proved to be one of the many important cultural springboards for the emerging gay liberation movement of the early 1970s.
- Other communist parties present in Germany and other European countries have also officially endorsed LGBT rights, including the right to same-sex marriage, and some even have extensive LGBT platforms in their parties, such as the German Communist Party's "DKP Queer".
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Queer