Musicals similar to or like Show Boat
Musical with music by Jerome Kern, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and P. G. Wodehouse, and a book by Hammerstein II. Wikipedia
American composer of musical theatre and popular music. One of the most important American theatre composers of the early 20th century, he wrote more than 700 songs, used in over 100 stage works, including such classics as "Ol' Man River", "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man", "A Fine Romance", "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", "The Song Is You", "All the Things You Are", "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Long Ago (and Far Away)". Wikipedia
1951 American musical romantic comedy-drama film, based on the 1927 stage musical of the same name by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II (script and lyrics), and the 1926 novel by Edna Ferber. Made by MGM, adapted for the screen by John Lee Mahin, produced by Arthur Freed and directed by George Sidney. Wikipedia
Sentences forShow Boat
- It furthered the revolution begun by Show Boat, by thoroughly integrating all the aspects of musical theater, with the songs and dances arising out of and further developing the plot and characters.
- In 1927, Kern and Hammerstein wrote their biggest hit based on Edna Ferber's bestselling eponymous novel, Show Boat, which is often revived, as it is considered one of the masterpieces of American musical theater.
- Leaving these comparatively frivolous entertainments behind and taking the drama a step forward, Show Boat premiered on December 27, 1927, at the Ziegfeld Theatre.
- According to his son, Frank Jr., King sat weeping in the audience at one of his father's concerts in 1963 as Sinatra sang "Ol' Man River", a song from the musical Show Boat that is sung by an African-American stevedore.
- Extending the precedents set by Show Boat (1927) and Porgy and Bess (1935), Hair opened the Broadway musical to racial integration; fully one-third of the cast was African American.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Show Boat