Former subdivisions similar to or like Southwest Territory
Organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from May 26, 1790, until June 1, 1796, when it was admitted to the United States as the State of Tennessee. Wikipedia
Organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from April 7, 1798, until December 10, 1817, when the western half of the territory was admitted to the Union as the State of Mississippi. Redesignated as the Alabama Territory until it was admitted to the Union as the State of Alabama on December 14, 1819. Wikipedia
Sentences forSouthwest Territory
- The Southwest Territory, which encompassed much of what is now Tennessee and Kentucky, was created in 1790 with William Blount as its first governor.
- North Carolina ceded the area to the federal government in 1790, after which it was organized into the Southwest Territory.
- On September 10, 1794, two years before Tennessee became a state and at a meeting of the legislature of the Southwest Territory at Knoxville, Blount College was established with a charter.
- Knoxville served as capital of the Southwest Territory and as capital of Tennessee (admitted as a state in 1796) until 1817, when the capital was moved to Murfreesboro.
- He was appointed President of the Council of the Southwest Territory (the upper chamber of the territorial legislature) in 1794.
- What is now Tennessee was initially part of North Carolina, and later part of the Southwest Territory.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Southwest Territory