Settlements similar to or like Soweto
Township of the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality in Gauteng, South Africa, bordering the city's mining belt in the south. Wikipedia
- To the southwest of the city centre is Soweto, a township constructed during apartheid for housing displaced black South Africans then living in areas designated for white settlement.
- In the 1950s and early 1960s, the apartheid government constructed the massive agglomeration of townships that became known as Soweto.
- In much of Soweto, many houses are American in appearance, but are smaller, and often consist of a kitchen and living room, two or three bedrooms, and a bathroom.
- In 2020 the government announced plans for high-speed rail from Johannesburg to Soweto.
- Rushdie is a member of the advisory board of The Lunchbox Fund, a non-profit organisation that provides daily meals to students of township schools in Soweto of South Africa.
- A separate city from the late 1970s until 1994, Soweto is now part of Johannesburg.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Soweto