Settlements similar to or like Surat
City in the Indian state of Gujarat. Wikipedia
Third largest city and the winter capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra. 13th largest city in India by population and according to an Oxford Economics report, Nagpur is projected to be the fifth fastest growing city in the world from 2019 to 2035 with an average growth of 8.41%. Wikipedia
- The Surat port (the only Indian port facing westwards) then became the principal port of India during Mughal rule to gain widespread international repute.
- In 1687, the English East India Company transferred its headquarters from Surat to Bombay.
- Just over a century later, the Dutch and English established trading outposts on the Indian subcontinent, with the first English trading post set up at Surat in 1613.
- Although the Portuguese were defeated, this incident along with the trouble caused by the pirates to the merchant vessels, forced the British to maintain fleet near Surat, Gujarat.
- The Mughal Empire's port city of Surat was sacked twice by the Marathas during the reign of Aurangzeb and the valuable port was in ruins.
- The East India Company, which was incorporated on 31 December 1600, established trade relations with Indian rulers in Masulipatam on the east coast in 1611 and Surat on the west coast in 1612.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Surat