Deities similar to or like Surya
Sanskrit word that means the Sun. Wikipedia
One of the two major Sanskrit epics of ancient India; it was composed by the sage Vyasa. The most important characters of Mahabharata can be said to include: Krishna; the Pandavas — Yudhishthira, Bheema, Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva, along with their wife Draupadi; and the Kauravas (who were a hundred brothers), led by the eldest brother, Duryodhana. Wikipedia
- Smartism centers its worship simultaneously on all the major Hindu deities: Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti, Ganesha, Surya and Skanda.
- Sources state Hanuman to have married Suvarchala, the daughter of Surya, the Sun-God, according to the Parasara Maharishi version.
- Khandoba's varied associations also include an identification with Surya and Karttikeya.
- Before Islam was introduced, people of the region were mostly Buddhists and Zoroastrians, but there were also Surya and Nana worshipers, Jews, and others.
- In some iconography, the symbolism of Surya, Vishnu and Buddha are fused.
- Some were revised into Vaishnava treatises, such as the Brahma Vaivarta Purana, which originated as a Puranic text dedicated to the Surya (Sun god).
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Surya