Bodies of water similar to or like Torres Strait
Strait between Australia and the Melanesian island of New Guinea. Wikipedia
Strait running between the Australian mainland Cape York Peninsula and Prince of Wales Island in the extreme south of the Torres Strait, in northern Queensland, Australia. Named in 1770 by explorer James Cook, after his own vessel, HMS Endeavour, and he used the strait as passage out to the Indian Ocean on his voyage. Wikipedia
The History of Oceania includes the history of Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Papua New Guinea, Fiji and other Pacific island nations. Divided into the prehistory of each of its major areas: Polynesia, Micronesia, Melanesia, and Australasia, and these vary greatly as to when they were first inhabited by humans—from 70,000 years ago to 3,000 years ago (Polynesia). Wikipedia
Strait between New Britain and the Huon Peninsula, northern New Guinea. So named by Nicholai Nicholaievich Mikluho-Maklai to commemorate the Russian corvette Vitiaz in which he sailed from October 1870 by way of South America and the Pacific Islands reaching Astrolabe Bay in September 1871. Wikipedia
Sentences forTorres Strait
- The Aboriginal occupation of Queensland is thought to predate 50,000 BC, likely via boat or land bridge across Torres Strait, and became divided into over 90 different language groups.
- Later that year, Spanish explorer Luís Vaz de Torres sailed through, and navigated, Torres Strait islands.
- Leaving the east coast, Cook turned west and nursed his battered ship through the dangerously shallow waters of Torres Strait.
- It also provides freight services to coastal townships on Cape York Peninsula, the Torres Strait and the Gulf of Carpentaria.
- Australia and New Guinea remained connected in this way until the shallow Torres Strait was last flooded around 8,000 years ago.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Torres Strait