Topics similar to or like West Antarctic Rift System
Series of rift valleys between East and West Antarctica. Wikipedia
The Transantarctic Mountains (abbreviated TAM) comprise a mountain range of uplifted (primarily sedimentary) rock in Antarctica which extend, with some interruptions, across the continent from Cape Adare in northern Victoria Land to Coats Land. These mountains divide East Antarctica and West Antarctica. Wikipedia
Sentences forWest Antarctic Rift System
- The region is further characterized by a 500 x large dome-like uplift, part of the West Antarctic Rift System, and it may reflect the presence of a stationary hotspot.
- There is limited knowledge about West Antarctic Volcanoes due to the presence of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, which heavily covers the West Antarctic Rift System -- a likely hub for volcanic activity.
- The name is most commonly used in the scientific literature, at times along with the West Antarctic Rift System, which is of larger extent and has geologic meaning.
- The range was uplifted during the opening of the West Antarctic Rift System to the east, beginning about 65 million years ago in the early Cenozoic.
- Volcanic activity here is linked to the West Antarctic Rift system, which is responsible for the formation of a number of volcanoes in the region.
- It is part of the West Antarctic Rift System along with eighteen other known volcanoes.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: West Antarctic Rift System