Software similar to or like WhatsApp
Freeware, cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP service owned by Facebook, Inc. It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, user locations, and other media. Wikipedia
Cross-platform voice over IP and instant messaging (IM) software application operated by Japanese multinational company Rakuten, provided as a freeware for the Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows, macOS and Linux platforms. Accessible on desktop platforms without needing mobile connectivity. Wikipedia
Cross-platform instant messaging and communication application that specializes in video calls and voice calls for smartphones. Users can also send each other text messages, emoticons, images, videos, voice messages, contacts, user location as well as create group chats, group video calls and conference calls. Wikipedia
Cross-platform instant messaging , Voice over IP (VoIP), social media and peer to peer file sharing application which was launched on 12 December 2012 by Kavin Bharti Mittal and is now owned by Hike Private Limited. It allow users to share text and voice messages in real-time when connected to internet as well by SMS when offline. Wikipedia
Messaging app and platform developed by Facebook, Inc. Originally developed as Facebook Chat in 2008, the company revamped its messaging service in 2010, and subsequently released standalone iOS and Android apps in August 2011 and standalone Facebook Portal hardware for Messenger-based calling in Q4 2018. Over the years, Facebook has released new apps on a variety of different operating systems, launched a dedicated website interface (Messenger.com), and separated the messaging functionality from the main Facebook app, allowing users to use the web interface or download one of the standalone apps. Wikipedia
Proprietary freeware VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers. Wikipedia
Free VoIP-application which enables the user to make calls, send and share text messages, photos & the user’s current location. The App does not require any additional registration or user account but allows direct access to all mobile and landline networks worldwide through Wi-Fi, LTE, 3G or UMTS. Wikipedia
Proprietary voice-over-IP service and software application that provides mobile phone numbers in the cloud and allows users to call or text any phone for free whether or not the device receiving the calls and texts has the Yuilop application. Yuilop provided phone numbers can be accessed across any device on the internet (IP) and are reachable via regular phone calls (PSTN) from any landline or mobile phone, and SMS. Wikipedia
Smartphone application that allows smartphone users of iPhone and Android to communicate via push-to-talk instant voice messages, sharing geo-location, pictures. Small New Zealand-based company that was founded in 2011, by a small entrepreneurial team of Waikato University MBA students and IT enthusiasts. Wikipedia
Instant messaging and presence computer program created by AOL, which used the proprietary OSCAR instant messaging protocol and the TOC protocol to allow registered users to communicate in real time. Popular from the late 1990s to the late 2000s in North America, and was the leading instant messaging application in that region. Wikipedia
Instant messaging and voice over IP (VoIP) client which supports text, voice, video, file transfers, and inter-application communication over various IM communication protocols. Created by forking the Gossip project started by Michael Hallendal, Richard Hult and later maintained by Martyn Russell. Wikipedia
Messaging and collaboration platform from Micro Focus that supports email, calendaring, personal information management, instant messaging, and document management. Available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and the server software, which is supported on Windows Server and Linux. Wikipedia
Proprietary mobile instant messenger and videotelephony application included on BlackBerry devices that allows messaging and voice calls between BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10, iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile users. Developed by Indonesian company Emtek under license from BlackBerry Limited . Wikipedia
- After publishing a story on 13 January 2017 claiming that WhatsApp had a "backdoor [that] allows snooping on messages", more than 70 professional cryptographers signed on to an open letter calling for The Guardian to retract the article.
- A new federal law in the UAE prohibits swearing in Whatsapp and penalizes swearing by a 250,000 AED fine and imprisonment; expatriates are penalized by deportation.
- In February 2014, Facebook announced that it would be buying mobile messaging company WhatsApp for US$19 billion in cash and stock.
- In 2013, the BBC discovered that users, mostly located in the United States, were posting images of drugs they were selling, attaching specific hashtags, and then completing transactions via instant messaging applications such as WhatsApp.
- In November 2014, the FreeBSD Foundation received US$1 million donation from Jan Koum, Co-Founder and CEO of WhatsApp – the largest single donation to the Foundation since its inception.
- It is suspected that the direct trigger to the protests were due to the planned imposed taxes on gasoline, tobacco and online phone calls such as through WhatsApp, as country-wide protests broke out right after Cabinet talks of the taxes, due to be ratified by 22 October.
- There are various social media news groups in Port Elizabeth, which is used at most as neighbourhood watch groups.
- A garda went to the police station CCTV control room and recorded the incident on a phone, then shared it to a WhatsApp group including other Gardaí.
- The deletions came after WhatsApp sued the Israeli surveillance firm for targeting 1,400 devices with spyware.
- Most refugees receive refugee-related information through SMS (e.g. 91% of registered households in Lebanon ) and many use smartphones (in Lebanon, two thirds of households reported using Whatsapp ).
- * WhatsApp – processes 2 million concurrent TCP connections per server.
- Mada Masr reported that Egyptian news outlets were ordered, via WhatsApp message from the government, to use a standard account when reporting on his death.
- Officials spread warnings to residents in English, Creole, and Spanish via social media, radio, SMS text, and WhatsApp.
- He then sent photos of the handwritten copy of the paper on WhatsApp to a relative in Punjab.
- An example is the Facebook-owned mobile application WhatsApp, that serves to replace text messaging on Internet connected smartphones.
- Since May 2017, when seven people were lynched in Jharkhand, India has experienced another spate of mob-related violence and killings known as the Indian Whatsapp lynchings following the spread of fake news, primarily relating to child-abduction and organ harvesting, via the Whatsapp message service.
- The same year, a DCT algorithm was the basis MDCT has since been widely used in VoIP applications, such as the G.729.1 wideband codec introduced in 2006, Apple's Facetime (using AAC-LD) introduced in 2010, the CELT codec introduced in 2011, the Opus codec introduced in 2012, and WhatsApp's voice calling feature introduced in 2015.
- However, a concentration phenomenon is occurring globally giving the dominance to a few online platforms that become popular for some unique features they provide, most commonly for the added privacy they offer users through disappearing messages or end-to-end encryption (e.g. WhatsApp, Snapchat, Signal, and Telegram), but they have tended to occupy niches and to facilitate the exchanges of information that remain rather invisible to larger audiences.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: WhatsApp