Topics similar to or like Wild card (sports)
Tournament or playoff berth awarded to an individual or team that fails to qualify in the normal way, for example by having a high ranking or winning a qualifying stage. Wikipedia
The playoffs, play-offs, postseason and/or finals of a sports league are a competition played after the regular season by the top competitors to determine the league champion or a similar accolade. Depending on the league, the playoffs may be either a single game, a series of games, or a tournament, and may use a single-elimination system or one of several other different playoff formats. Wikipedia
Substitution of regular players on a sports team with backup players, and it occurs when a team has clinched at least a playoff berth, often its division, and in many cases, home advantage, and no further regular season losses would hurt the team in the standings . This enables the team to avoid risking injury to the starters, and to give real life playing practice to backup players. Wikipedia
Sports in Georgia include professional teams, Olympic Games contenders and medalists, collegiate teams in major and small-school conferences and associations, and active amateur teams and individual sports. The Atlanta Braves are a Major League Baseball (MLB) team that moved to Atlanta in 1966 from Milwaukee where they were known as the Milwaukee Braves. Wikipedia
Non-eliminating tournament format that features a fixed number of rounds of competition, but considerably fewer than for a round-robin tournament; thus each competitor does not play all the other competitors. Competitors meet one-on-one in each round and are paired using a set of rules designed to ensure that each competitor plays opponents with a similar running score, but does not play the same opponent more than once. Wikipedia
Standings or rankings are listings which compare sports teams or individuals, institutions, nations, companies, or other entities by ranking them in order of ability or achievement. A table or chart (such as a league table, a ladder or a leaderboard) may be employed to display such listings. Wikipedia
The West Michigan Ironmen are a professional indoor football team based in Muskegon, Michigan (and representing the larger region which also includes Grand Rapids and Holland), the Ironmen play their home games at Mercy Health Arena. The team joined American Indoor Football (AIF) in 2016. Wikipedia
Non-affiliated high school and middle school ice hockey league comprising teams from the Northern Virginia Area including Fairfax County, Prince William County, Loudoun County, Arlington County, Stafford County, and the cities of Manassas and Alexandria. The NVSHL staff and board of directors includes a combination of coaches, parents, team representatives, referee, and rink supervisors. Wikipedia
Professional American indoor football team based in Erie, Pennsylvania. Founded in 2007 as the Pittsburgh RiverRats, the Explosion played in the Professional Indoor Football League, the United Indoor Football League, the Southern Indoor Football League, the Continental Indoor Football League and the American Indoor Football Association and operated continuously from 2007 to 2015. Wikipedia
Sentences forWild card (sports)
- This draw is composed of 32 seeded players, other players ranked in the world's top 100, qualifiers, and players who receive invitations through wild cards.
- After a down-to-the-wire Wild Card chase with the San Francisco Giants, Chicago and San Francisco ended the regular season tied, and thus squared off in a one-game playoff at Wrigley Field.
- Their three playoff appearances came as wild card teams, making them one of two MLB franchises (along with the Colorado Rockies) to have never won a division title.
- In 1969, the final year of the independent AFL, Professional Football's first "wild card" playoffs were conducted.
- Both tournaments have 8 wild card entrants, with the remainder in each made up of qualifiers.
- Plunkett led Oakland to an 11–5 record and a wild card berth.
- The team improved to in 2005, finishing second in the division behind Tampa Bay and clinching a playoff berth as a wild-card.
- Against German wildcard Laura Siegemund (who was playing in her hometown), Mladenovic led 4–1 in the final set tiebreak but ended losing the match 1–6, 6–2, 6–7.
- Since the divisional rival Tennessee Titans had a record of 13–3, the Ravens had to play in the wild card round.
- This was not sufficient to earn him an automatic place in the main draw at Wimbledon but, given his past record as a three-time runner-up, he was awarded a wildcard for entry into the singles draw.
- The Indians repeated as AL Central champions but lost to the wild card Baltimore Orioles in the Division Series.
- With a world ranking of no. 839, he needed a wildcard entry into the main draws of every single tournament, even at Futures level.
- The remaining six teams in each conference play against each other in the Wild Card round.
- The current system by which most of the team is determined by performances with a small number of players selected by the captain (known as "wild cards" or "captain's picks") gradually evolved and has been used by both sides since 1989.
- As good as the Giants were (winning 103 games), the Atlanta Braves won 104 in what some call the last great pennant race (because the wild card was instituted shortly thereafter).
- The 36 teams consisted of the 7 teams that were eliminated in the 2014–15 Euroleague season qualification rounds, and 29 teams that qualified directly to the 2014–15 EuroCup, either through 2013–14 season results, or through wild cards.
- At the Australian Open, she received a wild card, but was defeated by the No. 14 seed, Patty Schnyder.
- In 2003, at the age of 14, del Potro received wild cards to three ITF Circuit events in Argentina, where he lost in straight sets in the first round of each.
- In October 2019, he drove the final two races of the season-ending Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM) round at the Hockenheimring in his Team Kunimitsu NSX car as Honda's wild card entry.
- Rodgers and the Packers won two of their last three games, finishing the second half of the season with a 7–1 record and an overall 11–5 record; good enough to secure a wild card playoff berth and clinch the fifth seed in the playoffs.
- His 18th postseason appearance with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2020 was the first time his team qualified as a wild card.
- For the 2020 NFL season, ESPN plans to air an alternate broadcast of its wild card game on Freeform, alongside simulcasts on ABC, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes; this will mark the first live sports telecast of any kind on the channel since 2002 (when the channel was known as ABC Family).
- In 2006, the Seahawks had a 9–7 record and hosted the Dallas Cowboys in the wild card round of the playoffs.
- The network’s current NFL contract includes the rights to the season-opening Thursday night NFL Kickoff Game, another game played on Thanksgiving Night, and three playoff games, two in the Super Wild Card round and one in the Divisional Playoffs.
- He is the only person to win the men's singles title at Wimbledon as a wildcard.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Wild card (sports)