Why Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick are similar
Sentences that refer to both
- Other performers whose careers started at the Apollo include Billie Holiday, Pearl Bailey, Sammy Davis Jr., James Brown & The Famous Flames, King Curtis, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Parliament-Funkadelic, Wilson Pickett, The Miracles, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Rush Brown, Stephanie Mills, Dionne Warwick, Bobby Short, The Jackson 5, Patti Austin, Patti LaBelle, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Ben E. King, The Isley Brothers, Lauryn Hill, Sarah Vaughan, Jazmine Sullivan, Ne-Yo, and Machine Gun Kelly.
- At Arista, Davis signed Barry Manilow, followed by Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick, Patti Smith, Westlife, Al Jourgensen, The Outlaws, Eric Carmen, The Bay City Rollers, Exposé, Taylor Dayne, Ace of Base, The Right Profile, Air Supply, Ray Parker, Jr. and Raydio, and Alicia Keys, and he brought Carly Simon, Grateful Dead, The Kinks, Jermaine Stewart, Gil Scott-Heron (on whose episode of TV One's Unsung Davis was interviewed) and Lou Reed to the label.
- For 1971, the festival booked the rock group The Allman Brothers Band alongside an otherwise predominantly jazz and soul-oriented bill that included performances by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Roberta Flack, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Dionne Warwick, Dave Brubeck, King Curtis, Dizzy Gillespie, and Herbie Mann, as well as the jazz-fusion groups Chase, Soft Machine, and Weather Report.
- Gadd has also worked with Chet Baker, Tony Banks, Jon Bon Jovi, Bee Gees, George Benson, Edie Brickell, Kate Bush, Stanley Clarke, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Chick Corea, Jim Croce, Christopher Cross, Pino Daniele, Paul Desmond, Al Di Meola, Art Farmer, Roberta Flack, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Gómez, Dave Grusin, Bob James, Al Jarreau, Quincy Jones, Rickie Lee Jones, The Manhattan Transfer, Paul McCartney, Michael McDonald, Michel Petrucciani, Bonnie Raitt, Return to Forever, Diana Ross, David Sanborn, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, Steps Ahead, Barbra Streisand, Stuff, Richard Tee, Michal Urbaniak, and Dionne Warwick.
- Among the performers whose music Ramone produced are Burt Bacharach, the Band, Bono, Laura Branigan, Ray Charles, Karen Carpenter, Chicago, Peter Cincotti, Natalie Cole, Celine Dion, Bob Dylan, Sheena Easton, Melissa Errico, Gloria Estefan, Aretha Franklin, the Guess Who, Heatwave, Billy Joel, Debbie Gibson, Elton John, Quincy Jones, Patricia Kaas, B.B. King, Julian Lennon, Shelby Lynne, Madonna, Barry Manilow, Richard Marx, Paul McCartney, George Michael, Liza Minnelli, Anne Murray, Olivia Newton-John, Sinéad O'Connor, Fito Páez, Luciano Pavarotti (including the Pavarotti and Friends Charity Concerts in Modena, Italy), Peter, Paul and Mary, June Pointer, André Previn, Jennifer Rush, Diane Schuur, Jon Secada, Michael Sembello, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, Phoebe Snow, Dusty Springfield, Rod Stewart, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, Frankie Valli, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder and Nikki Yanofsky.
- His sound can be heard in the arrangements he did for Jefferson Starship, the Righteous Brothers, the Supremes, the Four Tops, Barbra Streisand, Johnny Mathis, Donna Loren, Martha and the Vandellas, Cher, Barry White, the Love Unlimited Orchestra, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, George Benson, the Jackson 5, Roberta Flack, Elton John ("Philadelphia Freedom"), Leo Sayer, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Frankie Valli, Helen Reddy and Lionel Richie among many other notable acts in popular music.
- "The Weight" has become a modern standard, and hence has been performed by many artists, including Little Feat, the Chambers Brothers, Eric Church, Chris Stapleton, Stoney LaRue, The Staple Singers, Waylon Jennings, Joe Cocker, Travis, Grateful Dead, Blues Traveler, New Riders of the Purple Sage, O.A.R., Edwin McCain, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Black Crowes, Spooky Tooth, Hanson, Old Crow Medicine Show, Panic! at the Disco, Shannon Curfman, Aretha Franklin, Joan Osborne, John Denver, Trampled by Turtles, Cassandra Wilson, Miranda Lambert, Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield, Deana Carter, New Madrid, Dionne Warwick and Gillian Welch.
- After the success of these projects Williams became one of the most in-demand pop music union session guitarists for the next decade, recording again with Aretha Franklin or with Madonna, Julio Iglesias, George Benson, the Manhattan Transfer, Michael McDonald, Melissa Manchester, the Temptations, Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart, Dionne Warwick, Shalamar, Go West, ABC, Boz Scaggs, Karen Carpenter, Mariah Carey, Julian Lennon, Bryan Ferry, Paul McCartney, Johnny Mathis, Del Shannon, Chaka Khan, Paul Hardcastle, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Lionel Richie, Jessica Simpson, Diana Ross, the Crusaders, Andraé Crouch, Eddie Murphy, Herbie Hancock, Peter Cetera, Whitney Houston, Monkey Business and more.
- Among the live performances and interviews were ABBA, Adam Ant, David Bowie, Bucks Fizz, Chubby Checker, Dr Hook, Duran Duran, Sheena Easton, John Farnham, Aretha Franklin, Hall & Oates, Colleen Hewett, Whitney Houston, Elton John, Kiss, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Mellencamp, Olivia Newton-John, Roy Orbison, Robert Palmer, Tom Petty, the Pointer Sisters, Cliff Richard, Lionel Richie, Demis Roussos, Leo Sayer, Boz Scaggs, Del Shannon, Tina Turner, the Village People, Tom Waits, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, and John Paul Young.
- He stayed on until 1985 and has since worked for many important artists as a session player and/or touring musician, among them Steely Dan, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Dr. John, David Sanborn, James Brown, Marianne Faithfull, Kent, Paul Simon, Joe Thomas, Dionne Warwick, Roberta Flack, Donald Fagen, Doug Katsaros, Michael Franks, and Luther Vandross, as well as many important artists in Sweden.
- Entertainers who appeared there included Christina Aguilera, Anita Baker, The Beach Boys, Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, Captain & Tennille, Ray Charles, Kenny Chesney, Phil Collins, Perry Como, Alice Cooper, Bill Cosby, Miles Davis, Sammy Davis, Jr., Ellen DeGeneres, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Jamie Foxx, Aretha Franklin, Mitzi Gaynor, Bob Hope, Whitney Houston, Jennifer Hudson, Tom Jones, R. Kelly, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Jay Leno, Liberace, Barry Manilow, Reba McEntire, Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, The Monkees, Wayne Newton, Dolly Parton, Richard Pryor, REO Speedwagon, Joan Rivers, Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Jerry Seinfeld, Red Skelton, Donna Summer, Tiffany, James Taylor, The Temptations, Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dionne Warwick, Andy Williams, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Warren Zevon, ZZ Top and many more.
- Acts that used the facility included Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Dream Theater, KISS, Alice in Chains, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, The Temptations, Hal David, Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick, Michael McDonald, Heart, Sammy Hagar, Bad English, Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Mötley Crüe, Tom Petty, Lita Ford, A Perfect Circle, Poison, Earth, Wind & Fire, Dirtyphonics, and Sullivan King.
- Artists like the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, The Swan Silvertones, Clara Ward Singers and Sensational Nightingales became stars across the country; other early artists like Sam Cooke, Dionne Warwick, Dinah Washington, Johnnie Taylor, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett began their career in gospel quartets during this period, only to achieve even greater fame in the 1960s as the pioneers of soul music, itself a secularized, R&B-influenced form of gospel.
- Prior to working with Paris, Walden had produced hits for Aretha Franklin ("Who's Zoomin' Who?"), Whitney Houston ("How Will I Know"), Clarence Clemons ("You're a Friend of Mine"), Dionne Warwick ("No One There (To Sing Me a Love Song)"), Gladys Knight ("Licence to Kill"), Regina Belle ("Baby Come to Me"), Lisa Fischer ("How Can I Ease the Pain") and Mariah Carey ("Vision of Love").
- The 25 women were: Maya Angelou, Shirley Caesar, Diahann Carroll, Elizabeth Catlett, Ruby Dee, Katherine Dunham, Roberta Flack, Aretha Franklin, Nikki Giovanni, Dorothy Height, Lena Horne, Coretta Scott King, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Toni Morrison, Rosa Parks, Leontyne Price, Della Reese, Diana Ross, Naomi Sims, Tina Turner, Cicely Tyson, Alice Walker, Dionne Warwick, and Nancy Wilson.
- Williams has performed with Sammy Davis Jr., Ray Charles, Jerry Lewis, Gladys Knight, Lawrence Welk, Aretha Franklin, Vicki Carr, Redd Foxx, Robert Goulet, The 5th Dimension, Dionne Warwick, B.B. King, Tina Turner, Buddy Hackett, Sister Sledge, Chubby Checker, Lou Rawls, Kenny Rogers, Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Melba Moore, Temptations, Richard Pryor.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Aretha Franklin & Dionne Warwick