Why Bob Dylan and James Taylor are similar
Topics related to both
United States–based nonprofit organization that is a nationwide network of more than 200 food banks that feed more than 46 million people through food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, and other community-based agencies. Forbes ranks it as the second largest U.S. charity by revenue. Wikipedia
American annual folk-oriented music festival in Newport, Rhode Island, which began in July 1959 as a counterpart to the previously established Newport Jazz Festival. Often considered one of the first modern music festivals in America and remains a focal point in the ever-expanding genre of "folk" music. Wikipedia
Founded in 1969 by songwriter Johnny Mercer and music publisher/songwriter Abe Olman and publisher/executive Howie Richmond to honor those whose work represents and maintains the heritage and legacy of a spectrum of the most beloved songs from the world's popular music songbook. Also involved on the development of new songwriting talent through workshops, showcases and scholarships. Wikipedia
This list includes music artists with claims of 75 million or more record sales. The artists in the following tables are listed with both their claimed sales figure along with their total of certified units and are ranked in descending order, with the artist with the highest amount of claimed sales at the top. Wikipedia
The cover story of a special issue of Rolling Stone, issue number 963, published in December 2004, a year after the magazine published its list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time". Update, published in a special issue and in digital form for the iPod and iPad. Wikipedia
American singer-songwriter, one of the most significant figures in American folk music; his music, including songs, such as "This Land Is Your Land", has inspired several generations both politically and musically. He wrote hundreds of political, folk, and children's songs, along with ballads and improvised works. Wikipedia
English musician, singer-songwriter, and music and film producer who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles. Sometimes called "the quiet Beatle", Harrison embraced Indian culture and helped broaden the scope of popular music through his incorporation of Indian instrumentation and Hindu-aligned spirituality in the Beatles' work. Wikipedia
Hybrid music genre combining elements of folk music and rock music, which arose in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom in the mid-1960s. In the U.S., folk rock emerged from the folk music revival and the influence that the Beatles and other British Invasion bands had on members of that movement. Wikipedia
New performance or recording by someone other than the original artist or composer of a previously recorded, commercially released song. Before the onset of rock 'n' roll in the 1950s, songs were published and several records of a song might be brought out by singers of the day, each giving it their individual treatment. Wikipedia
Music genre and musical form which was originated in the Deep South of the United States around the 1870s by African-Americans from roots in African musical traditions, African-American work songs, and spirituals. Blues incorporated spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts, chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads. Wikipedia
Sentences that refer to both
- Artists who have recorded for Columbia include AC/DC, Adele, Aerosmith, Louis Armstrong, Gene Autry, Count Basie, Nora Bayes, Bix Beiderbecke, Tony Bennett, Leonard Bernstein, Beyoncé, Blue Öyster Cult, Dave Brubeck, The Byrds, Mariah Carey, Pablo Casals, Johnny Cash, The Clash, The Cleveland Orchestra, Rosemary Clooney, Leonard Cohen, Ornette Coleman, Elvis Costello, Miles Davis, Neil Diamond, Celine Dion, Bob Dylan, Earth, Wind & Fire, Duke Ellington, 50 Cent, Flatt and Scruggs, Erroll Garner, Benny Goodman, Glenn Gould, Adelaide Hall, Herbie Hancock, Lauryn Hill, Billie Holiday, Vladimir Horowitz, Billy Joel, Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Al Jolson, Janis Joplin, Andre Kostelanetz, Yo-Yo Ma, Johnny Mathis, John Mayer, George Michael, Mitch Miller, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Billy Murray, Willie Nelson, The New York Philharmonic, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Pink Floyd, Santana, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, Bessie Smith, John Philip Sousa, Bruce Springsteen, Igor Stravinsky, Barbra Streisand, System of a Down, James Taylor, Bonnie Tyler, Ethel Waters, Weather Report, Paul Whiteman, Andy Williams, Bert Williams, Pharrell Williams, Bob Wills, and Bill Withers.
- Cash also enjoyed booking mainstream performers as guests; including Linda Ronstadt in her first TV appearance, Neil Young, Louis Armstrong, Neil Diamond, Kenny Rogers and The First Edition (who appeared four times), James Taylor, Ray Charles, Roger Miller, Roy Orbison, Derek and the Dominos, Joni Mitchell, and Bob Dylan.
- He has worked with musicians including B.B. King, Chet Atkins, Chris Botti, John Anderson, the Chieftains, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Joan Armatrading, Bryan Ferry, George Jones, Phil Lynott, Donal Lunny, Van Morrison, Steely Dan, Sting, Emmylou Harris and James Taylor, sometimes working as a session musician.
- Among the performers whose music Ramone produced are Burt Bacharach, the Band, Bono, Laura Branigan, Ray Charles, Karen Carpenter, Chicago, Peter Cincotti, Natalie Cole, Celine Dion, Bob Dylan, Sheena Easton, Melissa Errico, Gloria Estefan, Aretha Franklin, the Guess Who, Heatwave, Billy Joel, Debbie Gibson, Elton John, Quincy Jones, Patricia Kaas, B.B. King, Julian Lennon, Shelby Lynne, Madonna, Barry Manilow, Richard Marx, Paul McCartney, George Michael, Liza Minnelli, Anne Murray, Olivia Newton-John, Sinéad O'Connor, Fito Páez, Luciano Pavarotti (including the Pavarotti and Friends Charity Concerts in Modena, Italy), Peter, Paul and Mary, June Pointer, André Previn, Jennifer Rush, Diane Schuur, Jon Secada, Michael Sembello, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, Phoebe Snow, Dusty Springfield, Rod Stewart, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder and Nikki Yanofsky.
- Over the years, issues have featured Garth Brooks, Bob Dylan, Poison, Clint Black, John Denver, Smokey Robinson, Wilco, Bon Jovi, Willie Nelson, Billy Joel, Kris Kristofferson, John Mellencamp, Richard Marx, Drive-By Truckers, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Beck, Dolly Parton, Eric Clapton, R.E.M., Weezer, Death Cab for Cutie, Ryan Adams, Jimmy Buffett, Merle Haggard, Rob Thomas, Toby Keith, Eddie Rabbitt, Roger Miller, Public Enemy, Sheryl Crow, James Taylor, Ray LaMontagne, Tom Petty, Neil Diamond, Zac Brown Band, Kings of Leon, Neil Young, My Morning Jacket, Taylor Swift and others.
- Russell Kunkel (born September 27, 1948) is an American drummer and producer who has worked as a session musician with many popular artists, including Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett, Dan Fogelberg, Stephen Stills, Harry Chapin, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks, Carole King, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Neil Diamond, Glenn Frey, and Carly Simon.
- Especially in demand in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, McCracken appeared on many recordings by Steely Dan, as well as albums by Donald Fagen, Jimmy Rushing, Billy Joel, Roland Kirk, Roberta Flack, B. B. King, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, The Monkees, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Idris Muhammad, James Taylor, Phoebe Snow, Bob Dylan, Linda McCartney, Carly Simon, Graham Parker, Yoko Ono, Eric Carmen, Loudon Wainwright III, Lou Donaldson, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, The Four Seasons, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Don McLean, Hank Crawford, Jerry Jemmott, Gary Wright and Andy Gibb.
- The Grandstand, with a capacity of up to 17,000, has featured Alabama, Christina Aguilera, the Backstreet Boys, Bob Dylan, Boston, Sheryl Crow, Foreigner, Aretha Franklin, Def Leppard, Journey, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Demi Lovato, Tim McGraw, Metallica, Mötley Crüe, REO Speedwagon, Rush, Santana, Blake Shelton, Styx, James Taylor, Carrie Underwood, "Weird Al" Yankovic, John Mellencamp, and Usher, featuring Lil Jon.
- Among the scores of award-winning popular artists presented by the Mann in recent years are Jack Johnson, Ed Sheeran, Phish, Tony Bennett, Mary J. Blige, Roger Daltrey, Bob Dylan, Furthur, Arcade Fire, Aretha Franklin, Herbie Hancock, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Wynton Marsalis, Willie Nelson, Smokey Robinson, Jill Scott, James Taylor, Damien Rice, Alabama Shakes, Bon Iver, Lana Del Rey, The National, Steve Martin, Martin Short and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
- The Coliseum hosted 34 years of concerts by artists such as Louisiana's Hank Williams Jr. in '69, Jackson 5 in '71, The Doors (sans Jim Morrison) in '72, Macon's Allman Brothers Band in '73, Santana in '73, Ike & Tina Turner, UK's Electric Light Orchestra in 1974, Aerosmith in '76 and '86, Elvis Presley in '77 (Elvis died in '77), Jacksonville's Lynyrd Skynyrd in '77, Spartanburg's Marshall Tucker Band in '78, Bob Dylan in '78, Kiss in 1976 and 1979, Australia's AC/DC in 1979 and 1996, Alabama's Jimmy Buffett in 1979, Aussies Bee Gees in '79, UK's Elton John in 1980, The Eagles in 1973 and 1980, Atlanta Rhythm Section in '80, Blue Öyster Cult in '81, Prince in 1982, Van Halen in 1982 (with UK's After the Fire), Journey in '83, Canada's Rush in 1983, Houston's ZZ Top in 1983, Stevie Nicks in '83, Joan Jett in 1983, UK's Duran Duran in 1984, The Grateful Dead in 1985, Bruce Springsteen in 1985, Eddie Murphy performed comedy there in '85, Alice Cooper, Texas' Edgar Winter, Ted Nugent, Barry Manilow, UK's Rod Stewart, Bon Jovi in '85 and 1989, UK's Ozzy Osbourne in '86, Run DMC in '86, Chapel Hill's James Taylor in '87, Tina Turner (with UK's Level 42) in '87, Def Leppard in '83 and '88, Aussies INXS in '88, Metallica with The Cult in '89, Mötley Crüe with Warrant in 1990, UK's Robert Plant with Atlanta's Black Crowes in '90, Athens' R.E.M. in '89, Gainesville's Tom Petty in '91, UK's Iron Maiden, Janet Jackson in 1990, Whitney Houston in '91, Garth Brooks in '92, Cleveland's Nine Inch Nails in '95 with Jim Rose Circus sideshow, R. Kelly in '95 with Coolio and Warren G, Alanis Morissette in '96, Smashing Pumpkins with Garbage in '96, No Doubt in '96 with UK's Bush (Bush came back there in '97), Widespread Panic from Athens in '96, The Wallflowers in '97, 311 in 1997, Goo Goo Dolls in '96 and 1999, Tallahassee's Creed in 2000, and many others throughout the years.
- Felten has worked with Gregg Allman, The Brecker Brothers, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Michael Franks, Al Jarreau, Rickie Lee Jones, Chaka Khan, Dave Koz, Kenny Loggins, Bette Midler, Olivia Newton-John, Wilson Pickett, David Sanborn, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Etta James, Dave Weckl and Don McLean.
- Over the years the venue has hosted many concerts, including: Nickelback, Alanis Morissette, The Tragically Hip, BB King, Our Lady Peace, Joe Cocker, Bryan Adams, Barenaked Ladies, Blue Rodeo, Gordon Lightfoot, Billy Talent, Simple Plan, Elton John, Feist, Neil Young, Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, Pearl Jam, Bachman & Turner, Celtic Thunder, Leonard Cohen, Sting, Tegan and Sara, Sarah McLachlan, Carly Rae Jepsen, Hedley, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, and Hilary Duff.
- Once in L.A. he continued designing for various famous artists including: Jon Lord, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Dylan, The Eagles, Dan Fogelberg, Carole King, Randy Newman, Pointer Sisters, T.Rex, Richard Pryor, Ringo Starr, Linda Ronstadt, Electric Light Orchestra, Bob Seger, Rod Stewart, Spinal Tap and James Taylor.
- "The Water is Wide" has also been recorded countless times, with popular renditions by Maura O'Connell (Irish Alto folk singer), June Tabor (1976 solo album, Airs and Graces), Angie Aparo, The Highwaymen, The Seekers, Peter, Paul and Mary (titled "There is a Ship"), Sheila Jordan (Lost and Found, 1989), Cowboy Junkies, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Rangers, Joan Baez, Fred Neil, Enya, Steeleye Span, Karla Bonoff, James Taylor, John Gorka, Daniel Rodriguez, Luka Bloom, Steve Goodman, Eva Cassidy, Rory Block, Tom Chapin, Kathy Hampson's Free Elastic Band, and Ed Gerhard.
- Entertainers appearing there have included Christina Aguilera, Anita Baker, The Beach Boys, Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, Captain & Tennille, Ray Charles, Kenny Chesney, Phil Collins, Perry Como, Alice Cooper, Bill Cosby, Miles Davis, Sammy Davis, Jr., Ellen DeGeneres, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Jamie Foxx, Aretha Franklin, Mitzi Gaynor, Bob Hope, Whitney Houston, Jennifer Hudson, Tom Jones, R. Kelly, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Jay Leno, Liberace, Barry Manilow, Reba McEntire, Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, The Monkees, Wayne Newton, Dolly Parton, Richard Pryor, REO Speedwagon, Joan Rivers, Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Jerry Seinfeld, Red Skelton, Donna Summer, James Taylor, The Temptations, Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dionne Warwick, Andy Williams, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Warren Zevon, ZZ Top and many more.
- Many famous artists have appeared on the festival, including Johnny Cash, Jethro Tull, Van Morisson, Savoy, Bo Kaspers Orkester, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, The Kinks, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Jaga Jazzist, Madrugada, Suede, Faithless, Wilco, James Taylor, Sting, Linkin Park, Audioslave, The Dandy Warhols and Counting Crows.
- He has performed and recorded with the Bee Gees, Rory Block, Cindy Cashdollar, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Duane Eddy, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, John Entwistle, Art Garfunkel, Danny Gatton, Vince Gill, Levon Helm, Bill Kirchen, Sonny Landreth, Albert Lee, David Lindley, Don McLean, Steve Morse, Phil Ochs, Brad Paisley, John Prine, John Sebastian, Simon and Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Phoebe Snow, James Taylor, Kate Taylor, Livingston Taylor, Rick Wakeman, Joe Louis Walker, and Steve Wariner.
- Joe completed mixes of Billy Joel's "The River of Dreams", 3 Cypress Hill albums, Schoolly D, Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince, the Rolling Stones' "Love Is Strong", Aerosmith's "Falling In Love" and James Taylor's "A Little More Time" and Phil co-produced and mixed Sting's "When We Dance", John Lennon's "Do The Oz", Bob Dylan's "Tell Old Bill", Dishwalla's "Counting Blue Cars, and "Under Pressure" with British rockers Keane.
- They include: Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel, Jethro Tull, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Widespread Panic, The Allman Brothers Band, Tony Bennett, Bill Cosby, Andy Williams, Ray Charles, Barry Manilow, James Taylor, Sting, Bob Dylan, Phil Lesh and Friends, Charlie Daniels, Gladys Knight, John Cougar Mellencamp, Don Henley, Yes, Hootie and the Blowfish, Dave Chappelle, Jay Leno, Lupe Fiasco, Three 6 Mafia Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, R.E.M., Bob Hope, George Burns, and 50 Cent.
- Knopfler has also been involved in a number of collaborative projects, recording duets with Chet Atkins, George Jones, Van Morrison, and James Taylor, producing albums by Willy DeVille, Bob Dylan, Bap Kennedy, and Randy Newman, and contributing guitar tracks to numerous recordings by other artists, including Clint Black, The Chieftains, Eric Clapton, Phil Everly, Jeff Healey, Waylon Jennings, B.B. King, Kris Kristofferson, Sonny Landreth, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Cliff Richard, Sting, Tina Turner, Steely Dan, and Jimmy Webb.
- The six songs are "Seasons of Love" from Rent performed by members of New Directions past and present, The Pretenders' "I'll Stand by You" sung by Riley, James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" performed by Chord Overstreet and Kevin McHale, The Band Perry's "If I Die Young" sung by Naya Rivera, Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender" performed by Salling and Adele's cover of Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" sung by Lea Michele.
- Ardent Studios was used by recording artists including Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, ZZ Top, R.E.M., Stevie Ray Vaughan, Al Green, the Allman Brothers Band, B.B. King, the White Stripes, the Replacements, and Three 6 Mafia as well as Stax Records recording artists including Cat Power, M.I.A., and Big Star.
- An integral element of Stevens' work on the Kennedy Centers Honors shows since 2003 has been producing segments saluting musician honorees such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, the Who and Paul McCartney that feature performances by musicians including Sting, Eddie Vedder, Jennifer Hudson, Dave Grohl, Norah Jones and James Taylor.
- Singer-songwriters like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez broke new ground in lyrical approach and personal style in composition, setting the stage for the next wave of lighter, country music and rhythm and blues-influenced singer-songwriters like James Taylor, Elton John, Carole King, and Cat Stevens, who began topping the charts in the very early 1970s.
- “Quiet Moment” from Dream Master was included on Shine, Mono Presents 70’s Shine American Music Masterpiece Collection, released by Sony Music direct (Japan) in 2003, as,track #8, alongside tracks by Eric Anderson, Tony Kosinec, Dan Fogelberg, Dave Mason, Ned Doheny, Fools Gold, Cecilio & Kapono, Les Dudek, Simon & Garfunkel, Livingston Taylor, Bob Dylan, Dane Donohue, Willie Nelson, Eric Gale, and James Taylor.
- Other songs that are sometimes mentioned as secular hymns include "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff, "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash, "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night, "Hey, Jude" by the Beatles, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell, "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley, "Going My Way" by Bing Crosby, "Blowin in the Wind" by Bob Dylan, "Like a Prayer" by Madonna, "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell (famously covered by Judy Collins), "Show Me Heaven" by Maria McKee, "Lean On Me" by Bill Withers, "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King, "You Can Close Your Eyes" by James Taylor, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland, "Imagine" by John Lennon, "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty, "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, and "Million Reasons" by Lady Gaga, and many others.
- He often performs music by favorite singer/ songwriters and has replicated many of his favorite albums in their entirety, including records by Shawn Colvin, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, John Prine, Kacey Musgraves, Neil Young, Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello, Kate Wolf, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, Johnny Cash, James Taylor, Suzanne Vega, Justin Townes Earle, Guy Clark, John Gorka, Dar Williams, Gordon Lightfoot, The Tallest Man on Earth, Todd Snider, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Petty, Tom Paxton, Townes Van Zandt, David Bowie, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tift Merritt, John Hiatt, Ryan Adams, Merle Haggard and more.
This will create an email alert. Stay up to date on result for: Bob Dylan & James Taylor